This is one of my (and Fritz’s) absolute favorite meals to make when we are in a hurry but very hungry. The best thing about a pasta bowl is that you can completely mix it up every time, and it always tastes great! My basic recipe goes like this: onion and garlic are sautéed together; add sausage (any kind you want); add greens and cook together while the pasta boils; toss in pasta, and top with a little cheese if you want.
Super easy, super filling, super tasty.
I love using bitter greens like kale, chard, escarole, or collard greens in these types of recipes because I’m not a big fan of them raw but don’t mind them at all when cooked–especially when cooked with sausage and cheese, obviously. That way I can mix it up from the usual baby spinach and get some different nutrients.
So here’s our latest pasta bowl recipe:
Chorizo and Kale Pasta Bowl (serves two very hungry people)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion (we were out of onions today, but I would have used some if I had it!)
- 3 links chorizo sausage (maybe about 1/2 lb), casing removed
- several heaping handfuls kale, roughly chopped
- 6 ounces uncooked whole-wheat pasta (I usually use penne or rotini)
- 1-2 ounces mozzarella cheese to top
Just ’cause a girl is pale, freckly, and prone to lobster burns doesn’t mean she can’t enjoy lounging in the sun.
Also, congratulations to my sister Kristen for graduating today, and to my BFF Jenny for graduating this weekend! You guys have worked so hard and deserve the best!